Monday, February 18, 2013

My favourite places

I'm not into travelling. If you gave me a rucksack and offered me a year of backpacking I couldn't do it - not only am I too small to lift the bag, but I have certain standards. And a hostel doesn't fit into those standards.

I know people who've loved backpacking. Who have shared rooms with strangers, crammed onto dodgy public transport and seen the world's most famous landmarks on the cheap.

Yeah, that is so not me.

I'm lucky enough to have visited a few places, but definitely not on the cheap. I'm more than happy to pay for a better standard of hotel room, and most definitely for one with my own bathroom. I like a hotel with a bar and comfy bed and I like a good shower and couldn't live without wifi. I don't even care if you point out what I'm missing - the real, off-the-tourist-trail stuff. I'm happy doing it my way.


I have a few places that I want to visit again and again...

1. Huntly, Aberdeenshire
I have family here. It's a small town in the Highlands of Scotland and it's gorgeous. Beautiful small town square, lots of land for walking and a brilliant castle. Beautiful scenery and a gorgeous hotel (Huntly Castle Hotel) and... the best thing... a shortbread factory. Dean's of Huntly, the ONLY shortbread worth buying people.



The Isle of Skye - local beer anyone?
2. The Isle of Skye
Yep, continuing the Scottish theme! Skye is beautiful. Drive over from the east of Scotland and you drive along Loch Ness through unparalleled scenery. On your way home drive the length of Loch Lomond. As you go round every corner the scenery gets more stunning. It's a five hour drive to Glasgow but a bloody good one.
I visited Skye in the summer, so it was full of midges and misty. Yep, lovely. But it stuck in my heart - it's peaceful, calm and fresh. Just breathe in that clean air (we don't have it in the cities any more) and be confused when it stays light so late, and just go for a walk. Now, I'm the laziest person I know, so the fact I'm recommending a walk means it's pretty good.

The Waldorf Astoria, NYC
3. New York
I'd go again tomorrow. Love it, haven't seen enough of it, but after my last trip I need to SAVE up before I go there again!  Fave hotel: the New York Palace. Fave restaurant: Recipe, Upper East Side Fave sight: Top of the Rock. Must see: Grand Central Station






Antigua - one of the amazing views from our hotel
 4. Antigua
I am lucky enough to have a brother who wanted to get married abroad. THANK YOU! We stayed at CocoBay and as soon as I have the money, I'm going back. I loved it here. The people were amazing, the sun shined, the water was turquoise and the rum! oh my, the rum!






 5. Bourton-on-the-water
A proper Cotswold village. A bit touristy but go in the week and it feels calm and looks like a postcard. My grandpa used to prop up the bar at the Old New Inn so I'll always pop in in memory of him. Then I'll go to Birdland (seriously, they have penguins).

And I'll say that line from Hot Fuzz "You wanna be a big cop in a small town? F*ck off up the model village". Makes me laugh every time. When I visit the model village.


So as you can see, my taste ranges quite a lot. From the local villages to the big cities, something about these places has stuck, and I hope to visit many more times.

After my trip down under later this year. SO EXCITED I MIGHT BURST!

1 comment:

  1. I've been to Birdland!

    And I also dislike hostels or sharing rooms with strangers

    ReplyDelete